A twice-convicted terrorist, who once plotted a Christmas Day attack in Melbourne’s CBD, has had his bid to walk free from prison early rejected.
Ahmed Mohamed, 30, faced the Victorian Court of Appeal on Thursday where a panel of three justices refused an application to reduce his 32-year sentence.
He was convicted in 2019 over one terror attack and a separate terror plot, and initially jailed for a combined sentence of 38 years, which was reduced on appeal last year.
Mohamed, alongside three co-conspirators, was found guilty of plotting to carry out a terrorist act, conspiring to kill police and strangers in Federation Square on Christmas Day in 2016.
Weeks earlier, he was involved in the firebombing of a Shia mosque, which caused $1.5m in damage.
It was a 22-year sentence for the mosque fire which Mohamed was appealing, asking for a reduction because of his “deradicalisation” in prison, the death of his grandmother and drug issues of the mother of his child.
In court, the Honorable Justice Karin Emerton said Mohamed’s sentence “adequately” captures the offending and there was no reasonable prospect to reduce his overall jail time.
Mohamed showed no reaction as his prospects for earlier release were quashed.
His barrister, Dermot Dann KC, told the court at an earlier hearing his client was “remorseful” and taking positive steps in custody, contrary to his initial sentencing judge who described his prospects of rehabilitation as “exceedingly dim.”