[ad_1]

A bus driver accused of causing a horror crash that killed 10 people and left 25 injured in the NSW Hunter Valley will face court for the first time after being slapped with 43 new charges.

Brett Andrew Button was allegedly behind the wheel of the bus carrying wedding guests when it flipped near the Hunter Expressway at Greta, resulting in one of the country’s worst traffic fatalities.

The 58-year-old is expected to appear before magistrate Janine Lacy at Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday after police charged him with 43 new charges, including dangerous driving occasioning bodily harm. In total, he faces 63 charges and has yet to enter any pleas.

Mr Button was previously granted bail at Cessnock Local Court in June after the court was told that it was clear the bus driver was “suffering” amid concerns about his mental health and wellbeing in custody.

Magistrate Robyn Richardson previously acknowledged that there was a strong prosecution case but ruled that Mr Button had no prior criminal record and conditions could be put in place for his release.

Lawyer Chris O’Brien told the court in June that Mr Button had led an “exemplary existence” and had accrued only seven driving infringements in his almost 30 years behind the wheel.

Wednesday’s court appearance comes after the final funeral for victims of the Hunter Valley bus crash was held in July, farewelling Nadene McBride and daughter Kyah who died in the horror crash.

[ad_2]

Source link

By Rahul

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *