Australia’s former First Bloke Tim Mathieson will plead guilty to a charge of sexual assault, a court has heard.
Raymond Timothy Mathieson, 66, appeared before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Thursday via a video link from his lawyer’s office in Melbourne’s CBD.
Dressed in a dark suit with a deep blue tie, he sat quietly behind barrister Brad Penno with his arms crossed over a table.
Mr Penno told the court the case against his client had been resolved and he would be pleading guilty to a single charge of sexual assault.
A Police prosecutor then withdrew two other unnamed charges against Mr Mathieson.
The court was told police would need to consider whether diversion could be an appropriate outcome to the case, necessitating a two-week adjournment.
“The prosecution would require two weeks, if possible, for a further mention in order to canvass whether diversion is appropriate,” the prosecutor said.
Diversion allows low-level and first time offenders to avoid a criminal conviction by undertaking conditions that benefit the victim, the community and themselves.
The court heard the complainant, the person who filed a complaint with police about Mr Mathieson, would need to be contacted for their opinion.
Mr Mathieson entered the public spotlight when he began dating then-Labour deputy leader Julia Gillard in 2006.
The pair split in 2021.
The case was adjourned to a date in August by Magistrate Roslyn Porter.