[ad_1]

Lidia Thorpe has identified herself as the federal senator who was threatened with violence in a video that has been under investigation for more than a year.

Federal police charged a 30-year-old man for his alleged role in creating and sharing the video.

The AFP said in a statement on Friday they had charged the man with using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence against a federal member of parliament.

Senator Thorpe, an independent from Victoria, identified herself as the subject of the alleged violent threats on Saturday.

“Senator Lidia Thorpe can confirm that she is the senator referred to in the statement,” a spokesman said in a statement.

“The senator will not be making any further statements on this matter due to ongoing physical impacts resulting from a car accident she was involved in last month.

“The senator is experiencing significant complications as a result of the accident and is undergoing medical treatment.”

The AFP said investigators searched the man’s home in the suburb of Mernda in Melbourne’s north on June 2 last year.

Investigators seized three electronic devices they alleged contain evidence of the man’s involvement in producing and distributing the video.

AFP commander Stephen Nutt said the AFP took all reports regarding the safety of Australian high-office holders seriously.

“The AFP supports political expression and freedom of speech, but when it leads to criminal behaviour — including threats and harassment — it will not be tolerated”, he said.

The man charged with threatening Ms Thorpe is expected to face Heidelberg Magistrates’ Court on September 20.

The maximum jail time, if convicted, is five years.

Read related topics:Melbourne

[ad_2]

Source link

By Rahul

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *