[ad_1]

A novelty lollipop has been recalled over fears it could cause choking, severe internal burns, or death in young children.

Australian International Traders Pty Ltd’s ‘Novelty Pops’ are sold nationally in small independent supermarkets, such as IGAs, from March 21 to May 10 this year.

The lollipops sold with a spinning top toy included are subject to the recall.

Product Safety Australia (PSA) said the confectionary items did not comply with mandatory safety standards for products containing button batteries.

Button batteries are used in many household products, including remote controls, watches and cameras.

If swallowed, button batteries can become stuck in a child’s throat where the saliva can trigger an electrical current, causing a chemical reaction that can cause severe burns.

Serious injury can occur within two hours while the damage to the child’s oesophagus and internal organs can be fatal.

“The battery compartment is not adequately secured so button batteries may become accessible,” PSA said.

The lollipops also did not have the necessary warning symbols and information on the packaging.

“There is a risk of choking, severe internal burn injuries or death to young children if they gain access to the button batteries and swallow or insert them,” PSA said.

“Consumers may be unaware that the product contains a button battery.”

Every month one child is seriously injured after swallowing or inserting a button battery, some of whom sustain lifelong injuries.

“Consumers should immediately stop using the toys and dispose of them,” PSA said.

“(They) should contact Australian International Traders to arrange for a refund of the product.”

The lollipops were sold at small independent supermarkets, retail shops and milk bars, including IGAs, Campbells Cash & Carry, Sweetcraft, The Lolly Bug shop and The Professors Shop.

Consumers can get more information by contacting Australian International Traders Pty Ltd by phone on 02 9939 7488 or by emailing admin@aitraders.com.au.

If you suspect your child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, call the Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26 for 24/7 fast, expert advice.

If your child is having any difficulty breathing, contact triple-zero.

[ad_2]

Source link

By Rahul

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *