A measles warning has been issued by NSW Health after two cases from the same family were detected upon their return from overseas.
The pair visited several locations in Sydney while infectious, especially around the Rose Bay and Randwick areas in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
South Eastern Sydney Public Health Unit assistant director Dr Anthea Katelaris says anyone who was in the same locations should be alert for signs and symptoms of measles until August 7, and check their vaccination status.
“The measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is available from GPs (all ages) and some pharmacies (people over 12 years of age),” Dr Katelaris says.
“It’s free for anyone born during or after 1966 who hasn’t already had two doses. If you’re unsure whether you’ve had two doses, it’s quite safe to have another.”
She says the most vulnerable are those under the age of 12 months, those who are unvaccinated, and those with weakened immune systems.
“It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to appear after an, so it is really important to stay vigilant if you’ve been in the (below) locations,” Dr Katelaris says.
“If you develop symptoms, please call ahead to your GP to ensure you do not spend time in the waiting room with other patients.”
Symptoms include fever, sore eyes, and a cough followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash which typically spreads from the head and neck to the rest of the body.
The warning follows similar alerts issued in Melbourne and Brisbane on Monday after a traveller who was infected with measles visited both states.
Here’s a list of the locations the two people visited. NSW Health says the locations don’t pose an ongoing risk to people.
• Qatar Airways flight QR908 from Doha to Sydney departing Doha on Thursday July 13 at 8pm, arriving in Sydney on Friday July 14 at 5.10pm.
• Sydney Airport – Terminal 1 International Arrivals (including baggage claim and customs) on the evening of Friday July 14 between 5.10pm and 7pm.
• TerryWhite Chemmart Gaslight Rose Bay 484 Old South Head Rd Rose Bay on Saturday July 15 between 11.00am and 11.45am.
• Prince of Wales Hospital Emergency Department on Wednesday July 19 between 9am to 2pm and 4pm to 11.15pm.
• Prince of Wales Hospital Randwick LifeGrain cafe on Wednesday July 19 from 11.15am to 12pm.
• Prince of Wales Hospital Foyer Pharmacy (Barker St entrance) on Wednesday July 19 from 12.45pm to 1.30pm.
• Westpac bank, 49-51 Belmore Rd, Randwick 2031 on Thursday July 20 from 2.15pm to 2.45pm.
• Priceline Randwick, 49-51 Belmore Rd, Randwick 2031 on Thursday July 20 from 2.15pm to 3pm.
• Blooms the Chemist, Royal Randwick, 26/73 Belmore Rd, Randwick 2031 on Thursday July 20 from 2.30pm to 3.15pm.
• Royal Randwick Shopping Centre 73 Belmore Rd, Randwick 2031 on Thursday July 20 from 2pm to 3.15pm.
• 7-Eleven Randwick 128 Barker St, Randwick NSW 2031 on Thursday 20 July from 12.30pm to 1.15pm.
More information on measles can be found on the NSW Health website.