Emergency crews rushed to a major Sydney hospital on Wednesday morning following reports staff had been exposed to an irritating substance.
Fire and Rescue NSW teams arrived at the emergency department of Liverpool Hospital in Sydney’s west at about 5.45am on Wednesday and discovered a faulty sewerage pipe was omitting hydrogen sulfide into the area.
Although the gas can be deadly in a large volume, a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman, Superintendent Adam Dewberry said only a small amount of the chemical had escaped.
Some of the nurses at the hospital reported feeling unwell due to their exposure; however, the Superintendent Dewberry said this “was normal”.
Emergency crews worked to seal off the pipe, and the issue was resolved by 7.45am.
Three patients were also moved as a precaution.
Superintendent Dewberry commended the hospital for activating its emergency action plan, which allowed staff to stabilise the situation so they “could continue with business as usual”.
A spokesperson for Liverpool Hospital said emergency services were first called to the scene to “investigate an odour,” which was quickly found and “not of serious concerns”.
They confirmed all staff and patients were safe, and said hospital maintenance teams are onsite making repairs.