The Deputy Prime Minister has distanced himself from the fallout of the 2026 Commonwealth Games being scrapped, saying any decision was ultimately “for the Victorian government.”
Speaking Perth on Wednesday, Richard Marles was asked about the Andrews government cancelling the event, which was to be held in regional Victoria.
Mr Marles’ electorate of Corio, based on Geelong, would have been one of the areas to benefit, as well as other regional centres including Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton.
Premier Daniel Andrews on Tuesday revealed his government would no longer host the major sporting event due to financial restraints.
“We’re all disappointed in what’s happened here but ultimately this is a decision for the Victorian government. We understand that, we respect that,” Mr Marles said.
“The Victorian government has made clear to the community … the infrastructure that was promised in association with the Games will be delivered, and we welcome that.”
Asked if the cancellation was a bad look for Australia, Mr Marles said he’d leave it up to the Andrews government to answer that.
He also confirmed while his government had been in ongoing talks with Victoria, offers or requests for help to hold the event weren’t made, to the best of his knowledge.
Mr Marles was speaking with Fremantle MP Josh Wilson at the Fremantle Dockers headquarters, where the AFL club was affirming their commitment to the ‘yes’ vote in the upcoming Voice referendum.