A Holden Commodore Ute, clocked at 253km/h on a major South Australian motorway, has been crushed by SA Police in a warning to other dangerous drivers.
Tarelle Lewis Charles Power-Williams, 20, was on his L-plates when he was caught speeding at 143km/h over the 110km/h speed limit on the North South Motorway at Waterloo Corner on January 30.
Police applied to seize the unregistered vehicle as part of their case against Power-Williams, and opted to publicly crush it on Friday as a method of disposal.
SA Police Traffic Services Branch officer-in-charge Darren Fielke said it serves as a warning.
“This is what motorists driving at extreme speed on our roads can face; jail; having your vehicle crushed and sold for scrap metal; and a disqualification from driving,” Mr Fielke said.
“This is a warning for all motorists — be responsible on our roads. It will save lives, keep you out of jail, and you’ll be able to keep driving your vehicle.
“The behaviour of every motorist impacts the safety of every other road user. Road trauma has catastrophic effects on families and communities, and we cannot tolerate drivers who blatantly disregard that responsibility.”
Power-Williams was sentenced to one year and four months’ prison in July, with a non-parole period of seven months — he was also disqualified from driving for an indefinite period.
Seventy-four people have been killed on SA roads so far in 2023 — compared to 46 people at the same time in 2022.
SA Police Minister Joe Szakacs said it justified crushing the Commodore.
“Hooning is not an innocent act,” he said.
“This is stark reminder of this fact is seen in the state’s road toll.”
“The easiest way to keep the keys to your car is to not drive in a dangerous way. Lives are at stake.
“Idiotic and selfish risk-taking on South Australian roads puts all that use our roads in unnecessary danger.”
The ruins of the car will be sold for scrap, with the proceeds going to the Victims of Crime Fund.